September 2016 minutes

Hand Weavers Guild of Lincoln
Meeting Minutes – September 17, 2016

Guild members present
Mandy Binder             Catherine Easton         John Geppert               Mary Howell              
Joan Johnson              Tonya Leach                Sue Ranta                    Cheryl Rennick          
Jan Tooker                   Kathy Blum                Mary Stilwell

Review August Minutes
·         No corrections

·         Participants in the Quit Center Art Market will pay 3% of commissions to the Guild for paperwork and processing
o   Made by Cheryl – 2nd by Sue
o   Discussion – none
o   Vote  -  Y – 11, N – 0, A – 0

Treasures Report
·         Checking account balance:     $   X.XX
o   CD 1 balance:             $   X.XX
o   CD 2 balance:             $   X.XX
o   Total Net Worth:       $  See In-house minutes
·         Commissions from the Annual Sale have not yet been paid.
·         Please make sure when putting money in the cash box to put a note in the memo line describing exactly what it is for or place cash in an envelope with a note written on the outside.  Please do not use a sticky note for this.  They do not stay attached.
·         2016 - 2nd Annual Sales preliminary totals
o   $1534 – Studio Sales - (not including sales tax)
o   $951 – Artist Commissions
o   $4 – Donations
o   $582.80 – Net Sales – (not including expenses)
o   $15 – dues collected for new member

Guild Groups / Projects / Classes
·         Overshot Project – No updates

·         Rug Group
o   Rug Show at Civic Center in Seward – 2018 April and May

·         Space Committee – no updates

·         Classes / Workshops / Programs
o   Cost per inch will be posted on all looms dressed for Studio Projects
o   Walk in and Weave – 6/26/16 – 1-4
§  Catherine inquired how much money the Guild made from this
·         No totals available today, will have next month
§  Some looms are still dressed if you would like to participate
o   Rag Rug Rodeo – 8/19/16 – 8/21/16  9a – 9p each day
§  Catherine inquired how much money the Guild made from this
·         No totals available today, will have next month
§  Studio purchased rug warp for $187
§  3 rugs sold at the Annual Sale for $140
§  Was a lot of fun and food was excellent
§  2 looms still dressed if you would like to participate
o   Beginning Weaving Fall Class – 10/1/16 – 11/19/16 3 – 5p
§  Cheryl will monitor this year’s class to see if she can shorten classes to 6 or 7 weeks instead of 8 and add ½ hr to the beginning of each class.  This will not change the number of student hours but will free up 1 or 2 Saturdays.
o   Ridged Heddle Class – Sue and Cindy  -  10/30/16 and 11/6/16 1:30 – 4:30
§  Class is full, there are 4 students signed up
o   Tamari Balls – 12/3/16 – 9a to 1p ish
§  Register for the workshop so John knows how many kits are needed
§  John will research what the cost should be, somewhere around $20ish
o   Advanced Weaving 102 – 1/7/17?
§  Not advertised in SCC catalog
o   Robyn Spady – no updates

·         Demonstrations
o   Seward County Fair  -  8/6/16 1p-5p
§  Was ok, the new location wasn’t great.  We did receive a thank you check for $150.
o   Lancaster County Super Fair - 8/6/16 – 8/7/16
§  Was good
o   Joslyn Museum - Textile Arts Celebrations 8/3/16 10a-5p
§  Was wonderful.  Linda donated her earnings to the Guild
o   Arbor Lodge State Historical Park Living History Celebration
§  Joan will send out info to the people who volunteered
o   Prairie Hill – 10/8/16
§  Tricia and Theresa volunteered to work this demonstration
o   Homestead Days - 6/23/17 – 6/26/17

Old Business

·         Open House / Sales - 9/10/16  10a – 5p
o   2016 - 2nd Annual Sales preliminary totals
§  $1534 – Studio Sales - (not including sales tax)
§  $951 – Artist Commissions
§  $4 – Donations
§  582.80 – Net Sales – (not including expenses)
§  $15 – dues collected for new member
§  When all numbers are in Mandy will provide a comparison report from last year
o   Sales Committee Meeting
§  Proposed date change to 1st weekend in Oct if Beginning Weaving Class can be shortened
§  Tent – was a big hit.  Jan will continue to allow us to use it but it is not in great shape.  We may want to consider purchasing one.
§  Sales Committee rotation – we would like 2 new members next year
§  Open House Committee is different than Sales Committee, responsibilities need to be separate
§  Pre and Post sales – open to Guild Members only, we will not hold items unless they are paid for.  Any Studio items for sale after the Annual Sale will include tax on the sales tag.
§  We need to find a “quick” way to hag rugs to replace sold items to fill in blank spaces
§  Need tags on all items (tamari balls, looms etc)
§  Electronic Inventory Sheets, Guild computer available if someone needs access or assistance in completing them
§  Post cards need to be printed by March, Cheryl will take care of printing but not designing
§  Marketing -
§  Attendance was good
§  Staff break room - we can hang a curtain in the doorway to the South room we use for storage with a little table for workers to sit and eat
§  Name tag sleeves – some are old and yellowed.  Cheryl will purchase new ones
§  1 day sale was better than 2 days last year
§  Signup sheet – If you plan on working you need to sign up, instead of greeters and floor sellers all can sign up for floaters and we can have people work where needed
§  Jan will put together a notebook to keep all sales information 
§  Designate 1 or 2 people to be photographer
§  Cleaning
·         Timing – should it be done before or after the hang?
·         More people to help next year
·         Big thank you to Cathy for heading up the cleaning this year
·         Spring cleaning? Monthly cleaning?
·         Every weaver should be dusting and cleaning under and around your loom when you finish with it
§  Publicity
·         37 people filled signed up for the drawing
·         Post card invites were placed at The Mill, and some local hotels and restaurants
·         All members who have Facebook should share for free publicity
·         John will look at a “meet-up” site
§  General Discussion
·         Cathy – Not all people who want to sell are able to work the sale, suggests we allow them to contribute work in some other capacity such as cleaning, hanging the sale, etc
·         John – it’s working, it’s getting better

New Business 
·         Quilt Center Art Market – 11/18/16 4-8p, 11/19/16 10a-4p
o   Jan was contacted by Nesha Schumann.  She needs to know how many people are participating, let Jan know if you are interested
·         Judy Lutgens has yarn she wants to donate – yes we will take it     

·         Textiles Department will be hosting a Natural Dye Intensive Workshop by visiting artist Lavanya Mani
o   Reduced cost is $250
o   Rm 21 Home Economics Building
o   10/13/16 – 10/14/16  6 – 9p, and 10/15/16 – 10/16/16 – 9a – 4p
·         Mid Plains Fiber Fair – York NE
o   4/22/17 – 4/23/17
o   Classes, Vendors and Demonstrations
·         American Craft Council Conference – “Present Tense”
o   Kaneko Building in The Old Market in Omaha
o   10/13/16 – 10/15/16
o   $400 for admittance to all
·         College of St Mary is looking for an origination to host a basket weaving workshop in the Spring of 2018.  There will be no fees for hosting.
·         Claire Knickols is the new Dean of the Textiles Dept at UNL.  She came to the Open House and Sale.  She is a great contact we need to foster the relationship.
·         Programs
o   12/10/16 – Bring anything you have been working on, fiber related or not.
§   raffle for prize
§  Bring food for a holiday pot luck

Mandy Binder

Recording Secretary 

No comments: