July 2016 minutes

Hand Weavers Guild of Lincoln
Meeting Minutes – July 9, 2016

Guild members present
Lori Beck                                Mandy Binder                         Emily Cameron Shattil       Catherine Easton             Claire Ehernberger                  John Geppert                           Elaine Hoemann                      Mary Howell                           Joan Johnson                           Tonya Leach                           Jane Mailand                                   Sue Ranta                             Chrystal Sato                             Jan Tooker                                    Jean Whitmore                      Jennifer Barnason

Review June Minutes
·         No corrections or updates

·         To purchase a mop bucket with a wringer and wringer mop for the Studio
o   Made by Joan – 2nd by Linda
o   Discussion – none
o   Vote  -  Y – 16, N – 0, A - 0

Treasures Report
·         Checking account balance:     $   X.XX
o   CD 1 balance:             $   X.XX
o   CD 2 balance:             $   X.XX
o   Total Net Worth:       $  See In-house minutes
·         Deposit today $733 from loom sales and classes
Old Business
·         Overshot Project
o   No change
·         Classes / Workshops / Programs
o   Ridged Heddle Class – Sue and Cindy  -  10/30/16 and 11/6/16 1:30 – 4:30
§  Sue and Cindy will choose what yarn type students should purchase and Yarn Charm giving students a 10% discount
§  4 scarf patterns for each student to choose from
§  Sue and Cindy are creating fliers / cards for promotion
§  Tonya will inquire on copyrights on the book material provided with purchased looms for class material
§  2 students with no advertising yet
§  Sue needs an evening between to weave when no classes are here – Tues?
o   Walk in and Weave – 6/26/16 – 1-4
§  $45 SCC charge and $70 Studio fee = $115 total
§  5 looms are ready
§  Estimate of 12 hours weaving time
§  3 participants so far
§  There is more warp available, if you are interested contact Catherine or Cheryl
o   Rag Rug Rodeo – 8/19/16 – 8/21/16  9a – 9p each day
§  Main purpose is for fun
§  Members only
§  2 looms already warped
§  We need help threading looms, if you would to help contact Cheryl
o   Robyn Spady
§  Workshop has been booked for 9/15/18 – 9/16/18
§  Cutting Loose with Tied Weaves
§  $500 per day, plus meals (booked before rate increase)
§  Details TBD – times, cost, class limit etc

·         Space Committee – no updates

·         Sales Committee – Has not met
o   7/30 – 1pm meeting
o   8/31/16 – list of what you will be submitting for sale is due

·         Rug Group
o   Redpath Gallery in Seward Spring 2018
o   Theme – Van Gough
o   May or June available – May is preferred
o   Rugs and Tapestries only
o   No fee for showing
o   If you are planning on submitting a piece let John Know so they know what to expect for entries

·         Demonstrations
o   Camp Creek  -  7/16  8a-5p   7/17/16  8a-4p
§  Set up Friday 7:30
§  Signup sheet on the table
§  Demo will be in the Crafts Building
o   Seward County Fair  -  8/6/16 1p-5p
§  Location change
o   Lancaster County Super Fair - 8/6/16 – 8/7/16
§  Lincoln Room, right by entrance, need volunteers
§  Want a “take away” for the kids to make use student looms?
o   Old Cheney Farmers Market – Still not have heard
o   Joslyn Museum - Textile Arts Celebrations 8/3/16 10a-5p
§  2 weaving guilds will be present
o   Arbor Lodge State Historical Park Living History Celebration
§  7 weekends long in Sept and Oct, we have been invited to participate in 1 or more weekends
§  Allowed to sell pieces
§  Joan volunteered to coordinate

·         Open House / Sales - 9/10/16  10a – 5p
o   Cleaning Committee – Kathy Blum
§  Tonya has a stick vacuum she will donate to the Studio
§  We will set a date to clean with a check list
§  Kathy gave the floors a good “once-over”, will go over again before 9/10
o   Studio Update
§  Will to update some lighting in Studio
o   Publicity
§  A rough draft of the 4X6 invitation
§  4 color both sided – 1 side glossy, 1 side mat
§  $40.80 + shipping for 500 cards
§  Sue is still working on the list of Guild friends to invite, if you have a person or group to add please email names and addresses to Jean; CC Sue
§  Will also send e-vites
o   Food
§  Linda needs money for food – she will make a list of people who have already contributed

·         Cheryl is getting estimate for a new sign over the door

New Business 
·         We need a new front door with proper seal and threshold to prevent flooding – we can ask Lynn but it is doubtful he will take care of this.

·         Flooding – the drain was clogged 3 weeks ago.  Lynn was contacted but forgot about it
o   Please do not leave anything on the floor and unplug all extension cords before you leave
o   Be aware that we WILL have water in The Studio
·         Free llama hair available, contact Catherine if interested
·         Tonya will be selling fiber next meeting
·         Iowa Sweet Corn Navajo Waving Boot Camp Near DesMoines – Weaving in Beauty Classes
o   Joan has a friend who signed up for this 7/28/16 – 7/31/16 but is unable to attend.  If interested in going contact Joan
·         Programs
o   8/13/19 – Lori Beck – Laura Fry video, The Effective Weaver
o   12/10/16 – raffle for prize (TBD)

Mandy Binder

Recording Secretary

No comments: