Rug Group - March 2014 minutes

Rug Tapestry Study Group
March 29, 2014, 1:00 p.m.
Present:  Catherine Easton, Cheryl Rennick, Jan Tooker, Mary Howell, John Geppert, Jane Marie.
Unable to attend: Joan Johnson, Sharon Vandenack, Shelda Baylor, Lori Beck.
We reviewed our comment sheets from Wendy Weiss from the October show. We found her comments informative and generally positive.
Minutes from the February 1 meeting were approved.
Venue: Hillestad Gallery may be an option. Jan will send a proposal, with representative photos, a short description of what the show would be about, how it would be organized, and so on. They have already been discussing shows for the 2014-15 year. (The committee met January 31, 2014.) We will likely try to schedule during the 2015-16 year. Wendy did suggest we try the Lux Center for Art.
Elder Gallery at Wesleyan: Mary Howell said they may be interested, would like to see examples of previous shows, etc. It would be during the 2015-16 school year. They also suggested we contact Lux.
Student Union Gallery at UNL: John will check on this.
Lux Center: Mary will check on this.
Galleries in David City, Nebraska City, Columbus, Fremont, Beatrice, Louisville.
Other ideas:
State Capitol or State Office Building, Governor’s Mansion
Wells Fargo downtown exhibits art (usually from LPS students)
Love Library at UNL
Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha
Considerations: we would like a reception area. We discussed having it in a gallery vs a more common area, and having it in Lincoln vs out of town. Could have a show in Lincoln then take the same show to another city
We decided to pursue a gallery venue for this show, with the option to take the same show to another city in the state afterwards.
Study on Tapestry: Catherine will teach this workshop which will be three Saturdays in October, from 9:00 – 2:30 each day (actual dates will depend on Open House, and Southwest Sale dates). As a prerequisite, we will have to pass a 4 question quiz. Topics covered in the workshop will include: basic tapestry joins, make straight and curved figures, make a sampler, and plan and start a new piece.  The cost will be $100 for non-members, $70 for Guild members, and $50 for Studio members. If you will be using a Studio loom for the workshop, you will have to be off that loom by December 31, 2013. Registrations will be due by the end of summer. Class will be limited to 12 participants. Sign-up sheet is on the board (calendar). The pre-test will be available soon.
Theme: Recycled. Could use recycled materials or recycle a theme, etc. Relate to the “green” idea, using natural materials, relate to how something is recycled, like how water is recycled. We need to plan to bring ideas to each meeting that would stimulate others’ design ideas. Continue to develop the theme. We will probably each need to make a statement about our piece for the show and how it relates to the theme.
Additional discussion items:  John is doing Hue vs Value color program for a Guild meeting, and would like to use photos of some of our pieces from the October show, and would like to get permission from the artists to use their pieces.
We may want to critique our own show, using the same checklist that we supplied to Wendy for the last one.
Next meeting: April 26 at 1:00 p.m.

No comments: